Fruit is one of the tastiest natural foods out there, after all we do refer to it as nature’s candy. It’s generally quite healthy and even so we might not think about past that. Here are some interesting facts about fruit.
1. In the U.S. apples can be sold that are literally a year old. (But not past that.)
2. Strawberries aren’t actually berries which is pretty surprising, but what is even more surprising is that bananas are actually a fruit.
3. If you cook a grape in a microwave, it will totally explode.
4. Apples, peaches, and raspberries are actually all from the same family…the rose family.
5. When we think of getting our vitamin C from fruit we tend to think oranges, but in actuality oranges aren’t even in the top ten of good vitamin C fruit sources. Wonder who started that rumor. Even strawberries have more vitamin C than bananas do.
6. The most popular fruit in the world is actually the tomato, which most of us think more of as a vegetable since it falls into the more savory category and is used for cooking a lot. In the U.S. tomatoes are legally labeled as a vegetable despite being botanically a fruit.
7. We call coffee beans beans because they look like beans, but they are actually pits of a fruit.
8. Bananas are somewhat radioactive, and even weirder…humans share half of their DNA with bananas.
9. Some medications can’t be mixed with grapefruit, because the fruit elevates the levels of the drug in the system and can lead to an overdose.
10. Some Japanese farmers grow watermelons in the shape of squares so that they are easier to stack and store.
11. Cucumbers are fruits, not vegetables, similar to tomatoes.
12. There is a specific study of fruits called pomology.
13. The largest fruit in the world comes from the coco de mer tree, which can weigh 92 pounds and has seeds that weigh 37 pounds.
14. There is a tree that got the name of fruit salad since it grows anywhere from three to seven different fruits on the same tree!
15. Tomatoes actually have more genes than humans do.
16. Although the pineapple is quite large, it is actually in the berry family.
17. Fruits and vegetables are defined differently depending on if you ask a gardener or a chef. The following common vegetables are actually fruit:
- Butternut Pumpkin